Pages

Friday, March 20, 2009

What's in a year?

One year of life is about to come to a close with another year wide open ahead of me, what will I do with that year of my life? Will I lose the 70 pounds I so long to lose? Will I get my household organized and put in order? I know, maybe I'll write that great novel I've always wished I had in me.

Though these are great goals, through the love and grace of God my heart is weighing heaving with different goals this year. My goals are simple: to love God with all my heart, soul, and mind. To love my neighbor as myself (including the girls that have hurt my daughter - wait a minute do I really need to include them). To learn how to live a life of simplicity and contentment.

Only through God's grace have I made it this far; when I reflect on the past there are so many times I wished I would have said/handled things differently. But they are just that - in the past.

I have listed below the lyrics of a song from Point Of Grace that addresses our past and I find it to be so true for me, that song is entitled "Heal the Wound".

I used to wish that I could rewrite history
I used to dream that each mistake could be erased
Then I could just pretendI never knew the me back then

I used to pray that You would take this shame away
Hide all the evidence of who I've been But it's the memory of
The place You brought me from That keeps me on my knees
And even though I'm free

Heal the wound but leave the scar
A reminder of how merciful You are
I am broken, torn apart Take the pieces of this heart
And heal the wound but leave the scar

I have not lived a life that boasts of anything

I don't take pride in what I bringBut I'll build an altar
withThe rubble that You've found me inAnd every stone
will singOf what You can redeem

Heal the wound but leave the scarA reminder of how merciful You are
I am broken, torn apart Take the pieces of this heart And heal the
wound but leave the scar

Don't let me forget Everything You've done for me Don't let me forget
The beauty in the suffering Heal the wound but leave the scar
A reminder of how merciful You areI am broken, torn apart

Take the pieces of this heart And heal the wound but leave the scar.


I still want/need to lose the weight, I can't help further the kingdom if I am not in the best shape/health I can be in. And I do need to keep things organized at home or that will lead to utter caoas. And as for that great novel, only God knows if one will ever materialize.

But I do know with God anything is possible.

9 comments:

Crazee Juls said...

I love that song...and those goals sound perfect to me..!

Kwana said...

All things are possible. You can write that novel and do all you need to do. It is hard but the hardest thing is the first step. I say this to you as well as myself. I need to lose the weight. Right my next book, organize my house. It's the starting that's the hardest.
Pray, listen and act.

April said...

Such a powerful song...it put tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat! God's grace is so amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Joyce said...

Your goals are wonderful ones. Keep positive and all in baby steps. There is a quote I love and had printed in a ring for my nephew in the master's program at church.
Remember, when the world pushes you to your knees, you're in the perfect position to pray.

Hugs....

Ina in Alaska said...

One step at a time. Your daughter is lucky to have you as a Mom!

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

I love that song!
I'm glad you figured out the strikethrough. :)

Formerly known as Frau said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day!

Michelle said...

Oh what a beautiful and moving song.

And things we want to do... things we need to be doing. The priorities somehow manage to identify themselves so clearly when we really think abouot it. good luck!

Ina in Alaska said...

Happy Birthday Sheryl!! A little bird told us it was your birthday!! Did you know that on birthdays, cake magically has no calories!!! xo